As you may or may not know, Apple’s hosting one of its events later today. It’ll be the first one in a loooooong time that Steve Jobs isn’t presiding over He may make a quick guest appearance, but then again, he may not. I’m looking forward to seeing how well Tim Cook & The Gang handle the keynote without him.
- faster & more ram & at least 1 camera, but not higher resolution (maybe anti-glare)
- single core, but actually uses OpenCL to harness its graphics chip for computing
- will tell you what your friends are installing/watching/doing. add virality to the AppStore.
- May tie into facebook/twitter.
- Hopefully better than Ping, which i hope was just a data-gathering precursory experiment to mediastream.
- Will run on all iOS devices, *including* AppleTV (perhaps as the default screen saver)
“One More Thing” is a cheaper iPhone
- it will not have fewer features. Part of the reason iPhone is great (for developers) is that in contrast to android & wp7, all iphones have the same features.
- Apple will make it cheaper by not including a retina display, by including less RAM, and less storage (perhaps very little storage — just enough for apps, not music, videos, etc. All the content will be streamed as with the AppleTV)
- May result in iPhones with retina displays being re-branded to “iPhone Pro”, which will be odd, since up until now, nothing “pro” has had the “i” prefix. I could be wrong, but I don’t see apple calling it a “nano” or “mini” because it’ll be the same size screen as existing iPhones. I also don’t see them calling it “lite” because that sounds cheap/low-quality.
Summer – Lion & iPhone5 & iOS5
- Lion, iPhone5 & iOS5 will all come at the same time, because AirDrop is integrated in all 3
- Finder replaces iTunes (saved searches by media type = music library, video library, documents, etc).
- You can define which “saved searches” (aka smart playlists) to sync to which Devices. Works for documents the same way it does for music & video.
- iOS 4.4 will never exist. Just for nice numbering, iOS5 will come out with iPhone5.
- heavily integrated voice search & navigation
- new unlock screen (gestures)
- new notifications
- wireless sync, using variation of lion’s “airdrop” and the Finder stuff mentioned above
- Home Button gets re-defined. Double-tap to multi-task goes away. You only single-tap it now, and single-tapping does NOT close the app; it brings up “Mission Control”.
- iOS 5 gets built-in “back to my mac” multi-user sharing
- Apple will start shipping all desktop macs with a magic touchpad, standard. Cannot order without trackpad. Magic mouse optional add-on.
- A new variation of screen sharing will allow the iPad to run apps on the Mac Mini, full-screen, as if they were locally running on the iPad (similar to Unity mode in VMware, but the host machine is remote). Consequently, the Mac Mini + iPad is only Mac you need. They will replace Macbooks for non-pro consumers. Macbook laptop discontinued. Might even sell mini+ipad as bundle. Can use iPad as dockable screen for mini, via thunderbolt.
- all the stuff you’ve already seen (versions, mission control, launchpad, etc)
- eye tracking
- voice control
- iOS 6 gains mechanism for cell carriers to bid for your minutes (lowest bid wins). No more contracts. This is based on a recent Apple patent filing. Apple could sell the phone for cheaper if it got a cut of your minutes. Cell carriers bid $0.05/min for your call, and apple gets $0.01 of that? Great for consumers & Apple, but sucky for carriers. Sounds exactly like Apple’s favourite strategy.
- Superdrives become external-only for all laptops (except perhaps the 17″)
- New keyboard with e-ink keys, or at least e-ink function keys, so they can be re-mapped by the OS as updates are available (common issue is the icons on F-keys being outdated)