- There will be a new 11” MacBook Air, which runs iOS (aka MacPad), and has a capacitive+resistive combo touchscreen (they exist here and here). You can use your fingers or a stylus. It is an iPad for productivity. The iPad’s keyboard dock always seemed like a hack to me. I think it only existed to see if there would be demand for an iOS device with a keyboard. They must have sold a lot, and decided to basically make an iPad with integrated keyboard & trackpad — aka this MacPad. IMHO, all Apple displays will eventually be capacitive+resistive retina displays.
- There will be a new 13.3” MacBook Air, which will be renamed “MacBook”. The existing MacBook line will be discontinued due to lack of performance, and because their plastic housing sticks out like a sore thumb compared to all other Apple devices. This would also bolster MacBook Pro sales, by creating a slightly larger divide between the power of a Pro laptop versus a non-pro laptop. At the same time, it makes the non-pro laptop very sexy & sleek. So you’ll have a choice: super-sexy & light but less powerful, or somewhat bulkier but also very powerful.
Apple’s new portable line-up will be:
- iPod touch + iPhone
- iPad (32/64 GB solid-state storage)
- MacPad (11.6” Air with C+R touch screen & 64/128 GB solid-state storage. Could run iOS). As iMac is to MacPro, so too is iPad to MacPad.
- MacBook (13.3” Air with faster processor + RAM & capacitive+resistive combo touchscreen & 128/256 GB solid-state storage. Runs OSX)
- MacBook Pro (15.4” + 17”, unchanged from current line)
OSX 10.7 “Lion”
- Better performance on same hardware
- FaceTime in iChat
- FaceTime in Skype (they have been delaying their next Mac release for some reason)
- Possible Facebook integration with iTunes
- New iLife ‘11, possibly containing a new app
- Some aesthetic standardization (calendar, address book) with iOS
Comments from my old blog:
U.C. said: super,sexy and sleek sounds good to me. at 2010-10-19 10:26:27